S1: Feast

MAIDEN
Pollus from House Griggor has just arrived, milady.

DELANNA
Bring him to the reception hall with all the other guests. Inform him that I shall not engage with him as long as he does not apply any sort of fragrant soap that would mask away his putrid body odour.

MAIDEN
But--

DELANNA
Now go, and leave me be.

[DALE comes in]

DALE
What seems to be troubling you, my dear, sweet Delanna?

DELANNA
It’s you, father. Tonight’s feast commemorating your honour seems to be going well.

DALE
I suppose so. But I can’t fail to notice that you do not seem to be enjoying it as much as I and your mother do.

DELANNA
I have responsibilities with the guild, father. The council would have me executed if they knew I wasn’t fit to the task at hand.

DALE
You exert yourself too much, dear child.

DELANNA
Not as much as I desire. By the way, father, what news comes from Durant?

DALE
He... well, it’s a touchy subject you may or may not want to hear. I wouldn’t want to spoil your evening with unnecessary tales of your brother’s departure.

DELANNA
I still wish to know.

DALE
I don’t know how to tell you this without stressing you but Durant has already left the family, his life and the guild, everything. All because of a commoner woman, of all things.

DELANNA
And have you sent men to search for him?

DALE
For what? For him to run again and find more reason to loathe us more? The kid is too smart for his own good. Defying him would only give traction to his already furious heart. We made an error in defying him his heart’s desire and my only regret is that I was alive when that moment arrived.

DELANNA
You speak as if you were the one who committed treason, father. Durant may still be this guild’s commanding patrol but if he finds it reasonable to leave everything for the sake of his own selfish desires then he’s no bigger fool than her lover.

DALE
He’s still of my blood, Delanna.

DELANNA
As am I. I am confident we will manage even without him, father. I promise you I will do everything to provide this guild the respect it deserves.

DALE
What makes you think this was not your intention in the first place?

DELANNA
Ho-- how could you even think of such an insulting thing?

DALE
I know you well enough, Delanna. What you lack in strength and constitution you make up with your cunningness. You may not gain the council’s favour as much as Durant but you certainly have the potential to lead, no doubt about that.

DELANNA
Then give me that honour, father. For our sake. For Durant’s sake.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Man bites dog

Seed is strong

Preparar