The women in my life, pt. 4

"Never come near me or my sister ever again! Asshole!" Mati's voice echoed loudly at the long street. Jake walks away, about to burst into tears. Maia, 24, squats in front of her sister, apologetic for the ruckus that had just occurred.

Maia was bawling her eyes out, but was able to blurt out something coherent to Mati. "He's not coming back. It's over."

"Fucking of course, Mai! I warned you, didn't I?!"

It was only then that Maia realises her sister's high-pitched voice has not been used since they were in their teens. Maia remembers it very well. It was during a family friend's wedding. Mati was mad at Maia because she broke the expensive camera their mother gifted Mati only weeks before then. She loved that camera like it was her own, and Maia clumsily let it slip from her hands when trying to take a photo of her sister pecking a kiss near the wedding cake with Mauro, Mati's first boyfriend. They were together for a year. Mauro wanted to travel the world, but Mati had other plans. She was hellbent on finishing her long studies first because partaking in anything outside of her priorities and responsibilities. Mauro would not have it. He left for Germany in a few months, and not long after, Mati had heard he had found a new beau while in Frankfurt. Now Jake is doing the same thing as Mauro did to Maia, but Mati would not have it. Maia would go with Jake on a heartbeat, they have been dating for some time now, and Jake wants to spend the summer somewhere near his family in Calabria.

Maia picks herself up from the floor. "He will never forgive me."

"Mai," Mati sighs. "Fuck Giacomo. You have to realise sooner or later, things are going to be very rocky for us both."

"I don't have to," Maia responds silently but vehemently. "I know what I want though. I don't have to listen to anyone or anything if I don't want to."

"I know you can! But you will regret it, Mai! Listen to yourself."

"I don't want to be you, Mat. I know you're still clinging on to Mauro..."

"Fuck you. Don't assume you know what it is I am thinking ever again."

Maia shrugs. "You're doing the same thing to me. What's the difference? I am ready to take the next step. Jake is more..."

"You don't love Jake."

An awkward pause. "You're right. I don't. Not yet. He's not ready, he's immature. He is temperamental. He lashes out. I can work it out, Mat. I can help him."

"You know you can't, and it's not your job, and you won't."

"I will try anyway."

The two sisters will never see nor speak to each other after that evening for the next four years. Maia has left the country to go live with Jake in Sardinia while Mati strives to finish her education in the next few years. Despite all of this, they think about one another every single day, and both suffer incredible bouts of longingness from time to time due to this, as despair overwhelms them both.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Seed is strong

Man bites dog

Moonlight shines upon the guilty and innocent alike